Posts Tagged troubleshooting
A fairly high percentage of any developers life will require troubleshooting. And yes, I found myself back in that position with a recent install of master data services.
When trying to load the mds IIS site through the browser, the default.aspx would simply not render. So, the loading wheel would simply keep spinning in the tab, without returning any content. Occasionally I would be fortunate to get a ‘page could not be loaded’ timeout response, but most times the wheel would literally keep spinning.
This install was distributed, I.e SQL database was on separate server to IIS. Also SQL server was configured in non-standard port for security.
The install of mds ran successfully.
The config tool ran successfully, creating the site and db successfully.
But still, no page loading?
Turns out that the config tool drops the SQL port specified when storing the connection string to the web.config XML file. Update this string in the web.config file by hand, and suddenly the page starts loading as expected.
Posted from WordPress for Windows Phone
When uploading a PowerPivot model into an existing SharePoint 2010 Powerpivot Gallery, I received the infamous “an error occured while capturing snapshots” error, where the hourglass changes into a disturbing red cross.
Quite odd seeing as I had used this exact library in the past and successfully created snapshots.
Now, there were errors that were quite prevalent in the CTP builds of SharePoint and related to security and underlying services. So, I used this thinking according to Dave Wickert’s blog, http://bit.ly/eQGCWD. And my server passed all of the checkpoints, i.e. everything was setup correctly. I did check the ULS logs, and only found the generic Timeout Expired error.
So, in a move of desperation, I uninstalled Internet Explorer 9 Beta.
And the snapshots started working again!
Another reason not to experiment with IE9 just yet… g
So, SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2 now supports maps as data layout controls. This allows us to create reports such as the one indicated below, with no custom development, natively within Reporting Services.
This opens up massive possibilities, as it supports the display of geospatial data in one of three map formats:
- Built-in maps
- Maps of the USA are supported
- I saw a demo of world maps at SQL PASS, looking forward to CTP3 to seeing them in real life
- Any ESRI shapefile can be used. This is particularly powerful as you can represent data for your country down to any level supported by the particular shapefile employed at the time.
- This is the most exciting option for me. While SQL Server 2008 introduced GeoSpatial data types in the database, there was no simple method to display these shapes to users. So, now it is possible to expose geography and geometry data types visually through reports.
With that preamble, I have been experimenting with the ESRI shapefile option. I needed to employ this approach as I wanted to represent country level data for the world (and the CTP2 doesn’t support non-US maps out of the box, really looking forward to CTP3). I was able to develop the report through the wizard, and assign the relevant data fields to the relevant shapefile fields with no problem. However, when rendering the report, I received the following error:
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: There was an exception running the extensions specified in the config file. —> System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded.
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocol.SetContext(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response, Boolean& abortProcessing)
Turns out that the Report Server service limits the HTTP Request size by default. Not exactly sure what the default limit is, however it is definitely smaller than the 6Mb required for my shapefile. To fix this setting, simply update the httpRuntime tag in the web.config file in the ReportServer folder. Specify a maxRequestLength attribute to the size required and you’re in the game. So the tag should look something like:
<httpRuntime executionTimeout=”9000″ maxRequestLength = “1024000” />
Watch this space for SQL 2008 R2 lessons learnt in the real world, as I use CTP3 in a prototyping environment over the next few weeks.